Old 26-07-2005, 10:57 AM
keith ;-\)

"boothbay" wrote in message
I recently repotted my Phal and Dend with just fir bark and charcoal
mixture. In fact was bought in home depot marked for orchids. Water it
then about a couple of days ago and today, I noticed one leaf turning
pale on the Phal and on the Dend the 3 remaining flowers were sort of
curling to itself. Not a good site. I took them both out and sure enough
except for the very bottom of these clay 4" inch pots were dry. Some of
the roots were rotting and I clipped the bad ones off. But they were
healthy looking a couple of days ago. Did the repotting do this? Are
they that sensitive? I like it when the botanical garden book that I
have on orchids recommends to water them at best weekly with a fir bark
soil arrangement. Mine needed it in 2 to 3 days. Its enough to drive one
insane...only kidding.

I can`t comment on your mixture,but I doubt very much that underwatering is
your problem in this case.If you have been underwatering the roots shouldn't
have rotted that quickly.It may be the plants natural process that has co
insided with you repotting.You shouldn't repot when a plant is in flower or
you risk losing the blooms .If the phal is losing the lower leaves this
shouldn't be anything to worry about as they do this.Your growing conditions
will determine how much you water.Plants will dry out sooner in clay
pots,how to water is only a guide line when you read it in books etc.It is
something that you learn with experience & your growing conditions.One of
the best ways to determine whether a plant needs watering is by lifting the
pot,if light then water & heavy then don't.This is learnt with experience as
most plants /pots will feel different!
Overwatering kills most orchids,they can stand periods without water
especially in winter.
Cheers Keith