Old 26-07-2005, 09:32 AM
BAC

"NikV" wrote in message
My M-I-L has had a tree planted by neighbours within 1.5 m from her house
wall, over 2 years it has leapt up to about 4m tall. We are trying to id
the tree, unfortunately I've not had the camera to take a photograph so

can
anybody give us a clue from :

Leaves - long(12in - 300mm) narrow (2in - 50mm) dark green tapering to a
point, edges not serrated but slightly wavy (above and below plane of the
leaf) distinct central vein ridged below leaf.
Branches - upright at top weeping lower down with alternate leaves hanging
down
Trunk - smooth light grey

Any ideas from the experts out there

Idea No 1 - ask the neighbours what they planted! I assume it must be pretty
close to their house as well, so, either they ought to be confident they
have planted something 'safe', or, if not, they ought to be equally
concerned as your MIL.

Apart from that, it might help the experts narrow down the field if you
could say whether any blossom or catkins, or 'fruit' have been seen on the
tree, and if so, what they looked like and when they appeared? If a leaf is
crushed, does it have any particular odour? Are the leaves the same colour
above and below, are they hairy at all?

Better to be safe than sorry with a tree planted that close to a house ...