Old 26-07-2005, 08:19 PM
Derek Broughton

I have water lilies where they can be, but 2/3 of the pond is too
shallow for water lillies (12" -16" depth) so I was hoping for
something else that will winter over and provide a more attractive
alternative to the bog bean.

There's practically nothing too small for water lilies - look for some of
the dwarf varieties. They'll do well in that depth, through the summer.
Plant them in baskets that you can move, then lower them to the deeper part
of the pond for the winter (I fastened cord to the baskets so that I could
haul them up in Spring without freezing myself). They need to be a bit
deeper than 16", in your area, through the winter, but not a lot.
--
derek