Old 26-07-2005, 04:01 PM
Harold Walker

..
I suspect that if you were to
compare some city neighbourhoods in the USA of the 40s/50s with the same
areas today, you might notice a few changes, too./////in some places yes
but very unfortunately in too many places zero changes at all and they
were bad enough in that period

'Working class', now that's a blast from the past, one seldom hears the
phrase nowadays, and, when one does, it's usually used by someone
successful
wishing to stress how far they've come from their 'roots'. How many people
did you meet on your recent visit who, unprompted, referred to themselves
as
'working class' or 'common folk', I wonder?

But one or two but I periodically see it in the UK papers which I read on
the internet daily plus I have seen it on this web site on more than one
occasion.....I remember a sister-in-law who to her death about five years
ago still considerd herself to be 'working class'....and...she was quite
well eduacated and not without the "means" to have a very comfortable
life.....but....came from a 'working class background'....whatever that
is...