Old 26-07-2005, 09:12 PM
Tiny Human Ferret

Vox Humana wrote:
"Tiny Human Ferret" wrote in message

Vox Humana wrote:

"Warren" wrote in message

Bringing the retaining wall into this shows
that you guys live in gated communities or
similar lala lands. You'd fear to come into
this part of town. Your standards are
irrelevant.

That's an awfully prejudicial remark.

It always comes down to this. I'm surprised that the thread lasted this
long without personal insults or the inclusion of the term "Mc Mansion."

But looking at the photo at http://cpacker.org/a3.jpg I would have to
say that it does look about half reverted to the wild. Then again, I'm
pretty old-school northern-euro in my aesthetics of a "well kept yard".

Oh, I agree. I think there are several issues here. First, there is the
law. I detect that the primary issue isn't the yard, but whether code
enforcement is valid function of government. I do think it is. The second
issue is that when you post pictures to Usenet, you will get a complete
spectrum of opinions and therefore, you can't get ****ed off when people
tell you what they really think.

There's also the issue of differing aesthetics. I live in a suburb of
the District, and Mr Packer lives in a part of the District which has a
rather different planning and land-use concept. For instance, the
District has fairly small and rather squarish blocks, generally with
fairly narrow street frontage when compared to the depth of the plots;
also the District has alleys and my suburb hasn't any alleys.

Due to the urbanized nature of even the "bedroom neighborhoods" such as
Mr Packer's, there's a tradition of letting nature flourish wherever it
may, as a contrast to the asphalt and sidewalks. Also, the District is
rather famous for its extensive Urban Forest, as well as one of the
highest acreages of per-capita parks. My own suburb mostly has trees
which have grown since the neighborhood was cleared and developed in the
late 1950s. I suppose that the contrast and comparison I wish to make is
that it's a lot easier to manage your yard's vegetation when it was
placed there by design.

Given the local problem with the spread of "invasives", I suspect Mr
Packer's yard will soon become home to the spreading "mile-a-minute
vine" which within a year should overtake his property and pull all of
the trees down onto his house, ending this discussion.

--
The incapacity of a weak and distracted government may
often assume the appearance, and produce the effects,