Old 23-11-2002, 01:53 PM
Ger

Default Chestnuts - any use for anything?

Hi Group,

I have a large 'common' chestnut tree in the middle of my front lawn.
About 30 feet high. Grown from a single chestnut 25 years ago.
As the years go by it is producing enormous crops of chestnuts.
In the autumn I rake the leaves and nuts and leave them rot under the tree.

Have the chestnuts any use? Or is it best to just leave 'em?

Over the years I have potted a few and given them to friends.
But last years there were thousands of nuts.
Any ideas?

P.S. Is it OK to trim back such a tree? Cut a few feet off the branches?

Thanks

Ger (inexperienced but enthusiastic gardener)