Old 26-07-2005, 10:01 PM

Kay wrote:
In article , writes
Sacha wrote:
On 26/7/05 12:30, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:59:51 +0100, Judith Lea
wrote:

Could anyone tell me how to stop newsgroup spam - I have reported it to
Demon but nothing seems to be happening - is there anything I can do
this end?

Try filtering out the subject and the posters?

Hardly. A mailbomb attack depends on each of the 1000 or so emails
having a different subject and apparent poster.

Nobody can filter the amount of junk that's been sent to this group lately.
Judith needs an ISP that helps to do some of that. Freeserve, who I used,
seemed to stop a lot of it, but not all of it.

... but with a decent newsreader it's trivial to ignore even that huge
amount of junk. It took me only a few seconds to realise what had
happened, look to see if anything interesting was interspersed and
then 'mark as read' the whole lot.

Fine if you have broadband but a pain if you have to wait for that lot
to download over a phone connection.

I didn't, I only saw the headers. I used to use the same newsreader that I use
now back in the days of 2400baud (and slower) connections.

--
Chris Green