Old 26-07-2005, 10:36 PM
NikV

"NikV" wrote in message

"BAC" wrote in message

Idea No 1 - ask the neighbours what they planted! I assume it must be
pretty
close to their house as well, so, either they ought to be confident they
have planted something 'safe', or, if not, they ought to be equally
concerned as your MIL.

neighbours house backs on to the side of the MIL's they are on different
estates!! tree is planted about 10m away from their house i.e. at the
bottom of the garden. She will approach them but just trying to get some
idea of the hazard first.

Apart from that, it might help the experts narrow down the field if you
could say whether any blossom or catkins, or 'fruit' have been seen on
the
tree, and if so, what they looked like and when they appeared?

not seen any blossom, catkins or fruit

If a leaf is
crushed, does it have any particular odour? Are the leaves the same
colour
above and below, are they hairy at all?

leaves are smooth same colour top and bottom (mature - dark green and
leathery: young - light green and easy to tear). When crushed there is no
particular odour except that of crushed leaf.

Better to be safe than sorry with a tree planted that close to a house

My point to her especially as her estate appears to be built on clay.

OOPs

Thank-you for the two suggestions, Ive had a look at pictures of willow (&
osier) and eucalyptus but can't find examples with this leaf shape and no
pictures Iv'e found look like this particular tree. It is very slim and
elegant with very FEW branching branches (If you know what I mean)

Nik