Old 27-07-2005, 06:32 AM
BattMeals

G Henslee wrote:

After reviewing the pics the officer probably figured that retaining
wall would be falling over in less than 6 mos anyway, and the overgrowth
would take care of itself.

Most of the houses older than 50 years around
here have tilted walls. I've been monitoring
mine for the 19 years since I've lived here
and it's added about an inch to its outward
tilt in that time.

Bringing the retaining wall into this shows
that you guys live in gated communities or
similar lala lands. You'd fear to come into
this part of town. Your standards are
irrelevant.

Standards of another neighborhood are irrelevent.

But, the photos you took paint a different picture. They not only show
your property, but one can easily observe portions of your neighbors'
properties.

a3.jpg shows part of a well-trimmed devil strip of the neighbor to the
right.

a4.jpg shows several well maintained properties, plus nicely vertical
retaining walls without weeds at the base. Unfortunately for you, their
walls emphasize the tilt on the one section of wall.

Your neighbors, members of your part of town, seem to have pretty high
standards of maintenance.

I welcome creative suggestions for my site
that involve trimming or selective removal,

15 minutes of weed removal at base of walls.
5 minutes mowing.
Dump the yard waste in a corner of your lot to compost.
Plant a tree in the strip where the sidewalk narrows, like your
neighbors. Very slow growing or shorter form are called for to avoid
growing into the wires above.

-matt