Old 27-07-2005, 02:57 PM
Doug Kanter

"Emerald" wrote in message
oups.com...
Doug Kanter wrote:
"Emerald" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thany you for your replies.

I don't think it's anthracnose because the leaves
do not have spots or holes.
They are just very brittle, and the newer leaves
crumble when pinched.

I will follow Doug's advice and water longer and more
deeply and see how it does. If it's no better next year
I'll try to transplant it.

Thanks again,
Em

How big is this tree, both in height, and in the width of the top?

It is about 6.5 ft tall
and about 3 ft wide at its widest point.

If the tree survives in its current location (4 ft from driveway) how
long will I have to keep up the heavy watering?

I dread the thought of transplanting it, although I will if I have to.

Thanks so much,

Em

If the water does the trick, you'll be doing it forever. By the way, it
really isn't such a chore. Find a non-oscillating sprinkler, or even better,
get a soaker hose. Arrange it around the tree, turn it on for a few hours,
and walk away. Soaker hoses don't shoot water up in the air like a
sprinkler, so nothing's wasted. It's a slow oozing kind of thing. And,
they're useful in your flower beds, too.