Old 27-07-2005, 01:12 PM
Roy

I seriously doubt its fiberglass in a preform......Yes, they are
available but few and far between......the general preforms are
usually always a PP or PE material.....

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 18:17:05 GMT, "Yabbadoo" wrote:

===First, determine what the "plastic" is !
===
===Chances are, it's fibre-glass - that's a thermoset, and the only way to
===repair is to use a fibreglass repair kit - relatively cheap at any motorist
===outlet. Do ensure the glass fibre is FULLY covered with the resin, no loose
===strands or ends, else you'll get leakage by "wicking" - water seeping out
===through the strands of fibreglass.
===
===(You may be able to see whether it's fibreglass - look at the cracks, is
===there a white substrate with evidence of "fibre" - that's fibreglass with a
===paint job).
===
===Plastic welding will only work on thermoplastics. (difference between
==="thermoset" and "thermoplastic" - once set/formed, thermoset cannot be
===re-formed by heat - thermoplastic under heat will becomple soft and pliable,
===and thus can be welded).
===BUT - successful welds need same-type plastic welding rod, so PVC rods will
===not work (seal) polythene or polyurethane ponds (and vice-versa), for
===example - and there's more than 3 thermoplastics!
===
===If in doubt - google or contact the pond mfr (who should advise not only the
===plastic it's made from, but also the repair technique)
===
===Hope this helps
===
==="john" wrote in message
oglegroups.com...
=== Someone recently gave me a small pre-formed pond, but it has three 1-2
=== inch cracks. I was wondering what the best way to patch them would be.
=== Perhaps a bicycle tire patch, or silicone? Thanks.
===
===

"The original frugal ponder"