Old 27-07-2005, 01:48 PM
Klara

In message , JB
writes
Tried something similar but without the umbrella. We replaced the
standard hook on a feeder with a long wire but if the wire was too
thick the little fluffy darlings could climb down it and if it was too
thin they just bit right through it and got the feeder onto the ground.

JB

For seeds we have one of the cage types - has worked fine so far. For
peanuts, we want to give access to the woodpeckers, so we have one of
the long tubular holders, which has a metal tube that slides down if the
squirrel tries to come down along it.

http://www.wildforms.co.uk/html/squi...of_feeder.html

The whole thing hangs from a wire, which itself hangs from a high
washing line put up for the purpose. So far they haven't worked out how
to go along the washing line and then bite through the wire, and the
whole thing is (presumably) too high up off the ground for them to jump
up.

But we are surrounded by sweet chestnut trees which they harvest and
hide, so they are probably not that desperate.

So far, so good ...
--
Klara, Gatwick basin