Old 27-07-2005, 04:57 PM
Vox Humana

"Darren Garrison" wrote in message
On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 14:07:27 GMT, "Vox Humana"

wrote:

becomes reactionary because a complaint was lodged. I figure that most
people move about every two or three years, so unless something is really

Most people move every two or three years? Are you sure that you didn't

mean that most people move
about every twenty or thirty years?

Nope. Not where I live. I've been here going on 10 years and I can hardly
keep-up with the constant parade of people who move in and out of the
neighborhood. The development is about 15 years old, there are only 5
original owners on the street. Of the five, only two have remained
married, so technically the other houses have had a legal change in
ownership when they were transferred to one of the ex-spouses who
subsequently got remarried. I think that with cheap mortgages, people are
moving up to more expensive homes. Also, the neighborhood has a lot of
young couples who have expanding families. They tend to move here, have a
few kids, and then move to a larger home.

The frequency of moving seems to be strongly linked to demographics. Here
is an except from an interesting discussion
http://ecp3113-01.fa01.fsu.edu/livel.../Migration.htm
"The other oft-quoted statistic, the average number of years between moves,
can be calculated by dividing life expectancy (which was 74 years in 1982)
by the number of lifetime moves (10.5). The answer, 7.0, suggests that the
average American moves once every seven years. But there are enormous
individual differences in the propensity to move. Some individuals move
nearly every year, thereby inflating the mean; others rarely move."