Old 23-11-2002, 07:38 PM
Andy Spragg

Default Chestnuts - any use for anything?

"Ger" pushed briefly to the front of the queue
on Sat, 23 Nov 2002 13:53:21 -0000, and nailed this to the shed door:

^ Hi Group,
^
^ I have a large 'common' chestnut tree in the middle of my front lawn.
^ About 30 feet high. Grown from a single chestnut 25 years ago.
^ As the years go by it is producing enormous crops of chestnuts.
^ In the autumn I rake the leaves and nuts and leave them rot under the tree.
^
^ Have the chestnuts any use? Or is it best to just leave 'em?

'Common'? Do you mean horse chestnut i.e. conker? Or sweet chestnut?
If the latter, they won't be as big as imported ones, but still just
as tasty. If the former, I have only one idea. I always thought it was
such a shame that the appearance of such a beautiful object as a
freshly-born conker was so ephemeral. Perhaps they could be varnished
when freshly-emerged and used decoratively to fill things - vases, a
treasure chest, that sort of thing.

Andy

--
sparge at globalnet point co point uk

Look after the sins of write-commission,
and the sins of read-omission will take care of themselves.