Old 27-07-2005, 05:43 PM
Jenn Vanderslice

Jenny wrote:
I'm told it's time to put down some kind of grub poison. I've got
Japanese beetles all over my garden so I know they're lurking.

Unfortunately, the usually helpful expert at my locally-owned garden
center was away, so I could not get help in figuring out which of the
many products to use.

I read up on milky spore, and it does not look like a solution because
my neighbors aren't using it so I'll just get their grubs.

I have a big yard--about 10,000 sq feet, so all this stuff is expensive.
The lawn is a bit over a year old and has a lot of quack grass mixed in
with a fescue/rye grass/bluegrass mix, and fairly thick turf. I've been
mowing high and often.

I'm in the cold part of zone 5 in W. Mass.

What would be the best product to use? One time 24 hour Dylox? The
long-term solution from the same company whose name escapes me? Grubex?
Something else?

And is it indeed the time to apply?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this.

IIRC, Milky spore must be used every year and must be the only thing you
apply to your lawn. Other chemicals will render it ineffective.
Treating for grubs has nothing to do with treating for Japanese beetles
since grubs can do extensive damage to your lawn.
In PA, this is the perfect time to apply grub control.

Here's some info about grubs in PA:
http://www.ento.psu.edu/extension/fa...hite_grubs.htm

--
Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing wonder and awe -
the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me. - Immanuel Kant