Old 27-07-2005, 04:41 PM
Kathy

"Kathy" wrote in message
I'm puzzled at failure of corn and chard to germinate this year.

You all might be onto something with the soil temperature. I don't have a
soil thermometer so I can't be sure. But we did have a very long cool spring
this year, which is different from any other year when the same vegetables
did well. Frosts ended early but summer heat didn't come on until a couple
of weeks before the corn went in, after the third chard planting. I thought
that would be enough to warm the soil; maybe it wasn't. I suppose I'll know
if the fourth chard planting comes up well. It had better - I've run out of
seed and run out of summer too.