Old 27-07-2005, 05:17 PM
JB

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 16:33:01 +0100, "Bob Smith \(UK\)"
bob@nospamplease wrote:

1) The plants are spiky and thorny. The baby courgettes that are growing
are also spiky. Does this go away, or do you have to "shave" them?

They shouldn't be too spiky. Silly question but I suppose you are
looking at the courgettes under the female flowers and not the stalks
under the male flowers?

2) People talk about eating the flowers. I tasted a but of one the other
day, and it didn't taste wonderful. Not horrid, just not worth the effort
as far as I can tell. Do the flowers get a good flavour when cooked?

Never tried it myself but you are supposed to be able to fry them in
batter. I don't know what the taste should be like but it always
struck me that the flowers are so insubstantial that the end result
would taste mainly of batter.