Old 27-07-2005, 06:00 PM
Sacha

On 27/7/05 5:47 pm, in article , "Harold
Walker" wrote:

"
I think you meant you saw more of England than most English see in a
year (a somewhat strange claim; how in the space of two weeks do you
know what "most" English do in 52? ). But your little trip round just
*one* country doesn't really count as seeing "more of the UK".

Janet.

If you know anything at all about logistics you would readily see/know that
the majority of the UK residents (English + permanent interlopers) see very
little of the UK in a year...they just do not have the money....perhaps
someone like you might have the 'lolly' to roam around but there are many
that do not live in such luxury and scrape from hand to mouth each
week....no different in this country......over a lifetime I suspect I might
have seen more of England than you have me love....a roaming on foot thru
the lake districts on one trip of a month...riding a bicycle from the
Portsmouth area to Plymouth and then via a winding route to York on another
one of my trips over yonder.....that is just for a start.....H

Most Britons who take holidays try to get to the sun for the obvious reason
that it's v. unreliable here. Many of us deplore our own inclinations in
this respect and make a vow to 'stay in England' for our next holiday, only
to crave some real, lengthy, reliable sun and book yet another foreign
holiday.
The 'poverty' you cite as the 'reason' that the British don't travel around
their own country, would no doubt account for the hordes of packages holiday
makers flying out of Britain every year, bound for worldwide destinations!
I don't know what your interest is in trying to show this country as some
kind of hand-to-mouth world, composed almost entirely of impoverished
stay-at-homes but your arguments are not exactly compelling and your
information seems to be rooted in the 1920s or 30s or even the Wilson years
of no more than £30 to be taken abroad - which led to the development of
package holidays in the first place. Your outlook is sadly old-fashioned
and out of date.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk