Old 27-07-2005, 06:04 PM
Sacha

On 27/7/05 5:39 pm, in article , "Paddy"
wrote:

In message , "Bob Smith (UK)"
writes
Hi,

First time I have grown courgettes this year, and I have a couple of
questions.

1) The plants are spiky and thorny. The baby courgettes that are growing
are also spiky. Does this go away, or do you have to "shave" them?

2) People talk about eating the flowers. I tasted a but of one the other
day, and it didn't taste wonderful. Not horrid, just not worth the effort
as far as I can tell. Do the flowers get a good flavour when cooked?

Bob

Hi
with regards the flowers, when I lived in Mexico many years ago, soup
made from pumpkin flowers was a popular dish. Very delicate flavour. I
never found out the recipe but enjoyed it often in restaurants. I
imagine courgette flower would be similar.
Paul.

Found this on Google
http://www.recipeland.com/recipe/37955/

And the batter to be used in frying them is a light tempura which allows the
flavour of the preferred *male* flowers to be enjoyed. Stuffing them with
various recipes and baking them is another big favourite.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk