Old 27-07-2005, 06:33 PM
Mike Lyle

Harold Walker wrote:
Most Britons who take holidays try to get to the sun for the

obvious
reason
that it's v. unreliable here. Many of us deplore our own
inclinations in this respect and make a vow to 'stay in England'

for
our next holiday, only
to crave some real, lengthy, reliable sun and book yet another
foreign holiday.
The 'poverty' you cite as the 'reason' that the British don't

travel
around
their own country, would no doubt account for the hordes of

packages
holiday
makers flying out of Britain every year, bound for worldwide
destinations! [...]
--

I am fully aware of the travel habits .... at any given time it is
estimated that there are over 500,000 Brits in florida

alone....here
on the Cape we see them all the time.....what do you have in

England
now...around the 60 million or so.....betcha 30million + cannot
afford those holidays you refer to.....yes I know some of the

poorer
ones do travel abroad....a great friend of mine on social security
travels to somewhere in Spain at least every other year.[...]

An important factor is that accommodation in Britain is so expensive:
relatively poor people often can't afford holidays at home. This is
ridiculous, but there we go.

--
Mike.