Old 24-11-2002, 01:07 AM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Acidanthera Murielae

On Sat, 23 Nov 2002 20:38:14 +0000, Pam Moore
wrote:

What I need is advice as to why mine don't flower. They make lots of
leaves but I only had one flower stem this year.

At the risk of asking the obvious question, did you feed them?

For years I have been persuaded that most bulbous subjects are
fairly gross feeders -- just look at the size of their storage
organs! -- and you really need to goose them with fertilizer to
get a good repeat performance.

And as the years have passed, I am more and more persuaded that
this is the case. I have a number of hippeastrums ("amaryllis" to
the unwashed masses), and have not had any real success getting
them to flower after their first year. Picking the brains of my
more knowledgable friends and looking into various books has
convinced me that as long as they are actively growing, they need
regular feeding, as often as twice a week at their peak growing
season.

So this year, all the amaryllis in active growth (oops,
"hippeastrums") are being fed every other Sunday during the
winter, with the intention of more frequent feeding come spring.
I am looking forward with considerable interest to the results.

Feed those acidantheras next summer!

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada