Old 27-07-2005, 09:24 PM
Kenni Judd

Orchid damage generally does not happen as fast as your message seems to
suggest. It is far more likely that the damage happened some months ago,
while the roots were rotting, and is just now showing up, than that it is a
result of your repotting.

That said: Your Phal likes to be more "evenly moist" than your Den, which
needs to get thoroughly dry in between waterings. So if you potted both in
the same kind of pots and same mix, you're going to be watering them on
different schedules ... at a guess, without seeing them, I'd say the Phal
will need water 2x as often as the Phal. If the Den is "mostly" dry after 3
days, then 1x/week may be about right _for now_.

But fixed schedules are dangerous. Better, as has already been posted, to
water "as needed." How often will probably vary at different times of year,
as your weather changes ...

Kenni

"boothbay" wrote in message
I recently repotted my Phal and Dend with just fir bark and charcoal
mixture. In fact was bought in home depot marked for orchids. Water it then
about a couple of days ago and today, I noticed one leaf turning pale on
the Phal and on the Dend the 3 remaining flowers were sort of curling to
itself. Not a good site. I took them both out and sure enough except for
the very bottom of these clay 4" inch pots were dry. Some of the roots were
rotting and I clipped the bad ones off. But they were healthy looking a
couple of days ago. Did the repotting do this? Are they that sensitive? I
like it when the botanical garden book that I have on orchids recommends to
water them at best weekly with a fir bark soil arrangement. Mine needed it
in 2 to 3 days. Its enough to drive one insane...only kidding.