Old 28-07-2005, 05:23 AM
cat daddy

"Drew" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes they came with instructions. I guess I was thinking outside the
container. I could put greens in but I was afraid of a bad smell.

The way to get the green component needed to heat up the pile is to use
alfalfa meal. I used to use rabbit food, but now I buy a 50lb. bag from a
feed store for $10. I take a big scoop, put it in a 5 gallon bucket of water
and let it soak while I rake open my pile of usually fall leaves. I pour the
slurry about 2/3rds down and cover. In a day or so, it's steaming. Great
stuff.
I also make alfalfa tea and apply it directly to the garden as a nitrogen
source.