Old 28-07-2005, 07:32 AM
Travis

Tiny Human Ferret wrote:
Darren Garrison wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 15:57:57 GMT, "Vox Humana"
wrote:
"Darren Garrison" wrote in message

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 14:07:27 GMT, "Vox Humana"

wrote:

becomes reactionary because a complaint was lodged. I
figure that most people move about every two or three
years, so unless something is really

Most people move every two or three years? Are you sure that
you didn't

mean that most people move

about every twenty or thirty years?

Nope. Not where I live. I've been here going on 10 years and
I can hardly keep-up with the constant parade of people who
move in and out of the neighborhood. The development is about
15 years old, there are only 5 original owners on the street. Of
the five, only two have remained

Interesting. In my (very rural) area, the people who live around
me now are mostly the people who lived in those same houses 30 or
40 years ago.

In my own jurisdiction, Montgomery County Maryland, the average
length of residence is indeed about 7 years.

My family's been in the same house since 1963.

On "my block", I think there are maybe three families who have been
here more than 20 years, that's out of maybe 30 houses.

Those must be *huge* blocks.

The demographic for the county, in general, is more upscale than my
"affordable" neighborhood. Yet as income and educational levels
increase in this county, the likelihood of frequent moves
apparently rises.
The neighborhood demographic is changing. We used to be the sort of
neighborhood peopled by the successful owners of small businesses
in the services industries -- plumbers, electricians, etc -- and
midlevel government workers. That demographic is largely unchanged,
but the national origins of that demographic is now almost
exclusively in centralamerica although there are a fair number of
asians, increasingly from China.

Many of the asians don't seem to be very interested in landscaping
or gardening, and frequently allow their yards to become rather
overgrown. I suspect that this may be due to unfamiliarity with which
plants
are to be cultivated and encourange, and which should be weeded out
or cut back. Hedges appear to be a complete mystery to many of them.

In their country of origin they probably didn't even have a yard and so
they
know little about landscaping.

The centralamerican approach to gardening is generally to pave the
lawn and park a fleet of work vehicles.

The bloodsucking yuppies, on the other hand, either do a fairly
good job of hiring gardeners who have some slight clue, or replace
the previous home with a "teardown", which is when you gut or
remove the previous structure and replace it with a McMansion,
meaning they fill the property line-to-line with a ridiculously
overpriced "cookie
cutter" home.
Considering that they apparently can't tolerate sunlight, I'm not
too surprised that they don't do a damn thing with their yards
other than design them to be easily and conveniently trimmed by the
centralamerican cadres of lawncutters, and fill the inside of their
homes (presumably, they don't invite me in and I'd be afraid to go)
with overpriced trendy imported trinkets showcasing their lifestyle
of conspicuous consumption on overextended credit.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5