Old 24-11-2002, 11:17 AM
DaveDay34

Default Fruit Tree Supplier ???

Anybody got any ideas on where I can buy bare rooted apple/pear fruit trees,
for less than £12 + p&p to the public.

Most suppliers seem to be at that price, but Aldi sometime supply limited
varities for about £5 and Homebase at £8.

I know they probably buy in bulk, and I think from Holland, but where ??

If you really want to buy bare rooted plants, I'd avoid mail order. It's just
a personal view, but the only reason you can uproot, transport, and replant
bare rooted plants is because of the temperature. I wouldn't trust most
couriers, Parcel Force, etc. to keep bare rooted plants in the right conditions
during their journey to you. I'd suggest you try to find a local nursery
(rather than a garden centre) that supplies bare rooted plants to your
specifications.

Cheapest is not always best, and while I completely understand any desire to
keep costs minimal, paying a little extra sometimes pays huge dividends in the
long run. Where abouts in the UK are you? Maybe someone could suggest an
appropriate supplier in your area?

Dave.