Old 28-07-2005, 09:44 AM
Martin Brown

Bob Hobden wrote:

"Bob Smith (UK)" wrote

First time I have grown courgettes this year, and I have a couple of
questions.

1) The plants are spiky and thorny. The baby courgettes that are growing
are also spiky. Does this go away, or do you have to "shave" them?

Yes the plants are thorny and my wife has an allergic reaction to being
scratched by them. Not had a spiky fruit though, ridge cucumbers have spikes
but they rub off easily.

I have had courgettes that have needle like spines on them that if you
catch them the wrong way will pierce the skin. The stalk tends to be
quite spiky - cold and wet up here today.

2) People talk about eating the flowers. I tasted a but of one the other
day, and it didn't taste wonderful. Not horrid, just not worth the effort
as far as I can tell. Do the flowers get a good flavour when cooked?

Not tasted them either but I know the French fry them stuffed with
something. (but then they eat anything rather like the Chinese) :-)

They are edible and quite ornamental on the plate. I think there is a
trick to cooking them deep fried in a tempura batter or something.

Regards,
Martin Brown