Old 28-07-2005, 09:55 AM
Mike

but life here looks
better, feels better and certainly is better than in the 50' and 60's.

I have to disagree with you on this point as far as 'life is better'.

'Financially' far, far, far better, but I think that the 'pace' of life has
eroded some of the things we enjoyed in the 50's and the 60's.

"Would I like to be a teenager now, compared to when I was a teenager?" No,
the outside pressure on the teenager today is far greater than the 50's and
the 60's in the way of the 'latest must have gizmos'

Moving to the Adult, yes he/she has more 'possessions', TV with umty dozen
channels to switch off, car/s in the family, foreign holidays/cruises which
has already been mentioned and the 'pressures' from the children 'Johnny up
the road has a new bike, can I have one?' and whereas it was 'just a bike'
in my parent's day, these days it computers/holidays/cars/the 'in' clothing
etc etc etc

Sorry, I preferred the 'rate' of the 50's and the 60's. 50 years ago my road
of about 24 houses, had 'possibly' one car in it. (According to a neighbour
who has lived in the house for all of his 68 years) We now have many houses
with 2, 3 and even 4 cars/vans. Sitting here and counting from 'thought',
there are at least 31. Calculate the pressures there of finding somewhere to
park, getting out onto the main road, which is equally crowded, the speed
which we travel at ..... slow:-(( In the 50's I could get from Sandown to
Cowes in just over 40 minutes by train. Now, no train, just under an hour.

Yes I enjoy the 'wealth' of today, but not the 'pace', and by that I mean
pressure and frustration as in the above example of being held up, and I
know a lot of older people will agree with me, because this is a discussion
I have had time and time again.

Mike