Old 28-07-2005, 08:36 PM
Phil L

gazzy wrote:
:: i am new to gardening and i want to grow my own vegetables but don't
:: know how to start ie preparing the ground after overgrowth with weeds

All I did was pull out the weed tops (mostly nettle, but also horsetail,
bindweed and ground elder) and then dig, with a fork, not a spade and remove
any roots you see (dont bother with the very fine roots, just the thicker
ones) break up the soil as you go along removing any stones or other lumps
of stuff that will hinder growth (plastic, metal, glass etc)

Rake level and plant stuff! - lettuce and beetroot can be sown directly
into prepared soil as can many other fast growing plants, (radishes,
carrots, turnips etc) for caulis, cabbages etc, it's probably best to start
them in spring in small pots and plant out once they have reached 3 or 4
inches high, same goes for onions.

If you are planting seeds now, you will have to keep it well watered for
germination to take place, as I have just discovered with my beetroot
(singular, as in a beetroot)

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.