Old 29-07-2005, 06:57 AM
George Pontis

In article .com,
says...
I've been out of the hobby for over a decade but I ended up with a
great deal on a huge acrylic tank (79.5x18.25x24) that I just couldn't
pass up. However, I've never dealt with an acrylic tank before and
noticed that there are two "holes" cut out of the top piece for
lighting hoods (I'm assuming). These are 23x7. I am planning on setting
up a planted aquarium in this tank and need a lot of advice/help on
selecting the proper lighting. Is it even possible to provide enough
lighting using these two openings for a planted tank? If so, does
anyone have any suggestions on what I should get? Is there a pre-made
kit that would fit my needs? I've read in a couple of sites that I
should be using a combination of compact flourescent and metal halide.
Is this accurate? I'm not very knowledgeable about lighting and would
appreciate any help/advice anyone can give.

The holes are for feeding and general access to the inside of the tank. The large
tanks leave the center uncut to provide valuable front-back support. Acrylic is
very transparent to light and you can shine whatever lamp you like through the
center support without regard to it being over the center or directly over water.
In fact, you might prefer to cover the openings to minimize evaporation, CO2 loss,
etc.

So, you can use longer lamps. The 96W power compact is typically a tad over 34".
Two of those, end to end, would provide decent coverage over a 79' tank. Four in a
2x2 arrangement would provide a LOT of light in that tank. Coralife makes good
units, available with lamps suitable for planted tanks. For example, the 36"
Aqualight with two 96W compact fluorescents. You could put two of those side by
side. If you are interested in a DIY solution, you can buy the gear from AH
Supply. AH Supply provides very good reflectors and ballasts that will operate the
lamps at full rated power - I don't think any commercial solution would provide
more light from the 96W tubes.

The metal halides are probably good lamps but in practice it is easier and cheaper
to light your plants with modern flourescents like the power compact or T5.