Old 29-07-2005, 03:46 AM
George

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 12:11:37 -0400, "Priscilla McCullough"
wrote:

Nitrite is 0.
PH is 7.5
I just cleaned my settlement and filters out 2 weeks ago.
I've cleaned them twice since March.
I can't find Aquazyme here.
I have rode all over looking for it.
I know the guy at the pond store said my holds about 9,000 gals of water.

Even if you had a nitrAte kit, you would rarely get a reading from a
hobbyist's type test, not with green water.

What kit are you using? The kit I use doesn't have a problem getting a
reading from water containing nitrates, regardless of whether or not the
water is green. If the green color affects the colorometric readings, or
if the reading is off the high end of the scale you can always dilute the
sample and change the result proportionately (of course, if it is off the
high end of the scale, then you already know there is a seriously nitrate
problem). I have no idea what makes you say that you can't get a reading
with a regular nitrate kit, Jan. They've been standardized for many years.

I'd like to know what your KH is, I'm wondering if your water is so soft
it
is why the algae is flourishing? This can also make the filter bacteria
not
work at optimum.

What kind of filter media and how much?

How often and how much do you feed the fish?

Are the water hyacinths growing and multiplying, dark green?

How often and how much water change outs do you do? ~ jan

It's a 9,000 gallon pond. She should rarely, if ever, have to do water
changes. Additions, yes. Changes, only if there is something dreadfully
wrong.