Old 29-07-2005, 03:53 AM
George

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
Interesting.. our water here is VERY soft.. as a matter of fact, we
can't
use full amount of dish washer soap or washing machine soap for fear of
the
suds coming out.

What effect does it have on ponds?

Well it depends on if we're talking General Hardness or Alkalinity. When
say KH (what they have on the test box) I want to know the
Alkalinity/buffering # ppm. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Just to make it more clear (or not):

kH is carbonate hardness, which is the measurement of the capacity for
water to neurtralize acid, is also known as buffering capacity. For
standard pond situations where the pH is between 6 and 8.2, carbonate
hardness generally reflects actual alkalinity.

General hardness is a measure of all the dissolved salts in the water.
These salts are principally composed of calcium and magnesium. General
hardness is usually referred to as total hardness.