Old 29-07-2005, 02:39 PM
dt

Linda wrote:

Moss garden with Japanese Maples??? ;-) I knew that would happen!
Everybody thinks Oregon is GREEN. Only 1/2 is green, the western half.
The eastern half, where I was living, is hot, dry, sand, rocks, and
sagebrush. What trees you see most are locust and Russian Olive. The
little town I lived in was at 300 elevation. Tiny town right on the
Columbia River that divides Oregon from Washington. By the way, the
same story goes for Washington...it is not all green, only the western
half, and the eastern half is hot, dry, sagebrush and rocks. Portland,
Oregon, in western Oregon is absolutely lovely and green. Has
reputation of tons of rain, but the last few years every time I've been
there it has been gorgeous outside....

People are always surprised to find out their preconceived ideas about
the states are wrong. Guess what ideas I had about Texas??? Hot, (yep),
dry (not!!! humid!!!), sagebrush and cattle. Ha! So driving down here
what did I find out?? Green, green, green, some mesquite trees and oaks
(what a surprise), rolling hills... Been here 3 weeks and we've had
thunder, lightening and rain several times.

Dean Martin was in a western movie back in the '60s. One day he arrives
in Galveston, the next
day he's riding through what looks like Big Bend. Either the terrain on
the coast has changed a lot,
or that was one fast horse!

DT

http://www.thehungersite.com/