Old 29-07-2005, 09:14 AM
chris French

In message , JB
writes
On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 11:02:24 +0100, Chris French and Helen Johnson
wrote:

So far we have found only one design that effectively keeps the
squirrels out but that is such a heavyweight design that it is too
ugly to keep near to the house and, more significantly, keeps half the
birds out.

I've got an all metal stainless steel mesh feeder for peanuts that
remained secure for years.

I also found the Defender type birdfeeders from CJ Wildbird foods to be
very resistant as the tops, base, and feeding ports are all metal.

But I guess that it depends on how persistent the squirrels area in
particular area.

The defender type is what I have at present. The squirrels can not
bite through the wire mesh but they have shown that they can get
enough purchase on each wire in the mesh to allow them to bend it back
and so get in. Alternatively if it is just suspended from a hook then
they can lift the entire feeder and drop it on the ground.

You seem to be talking about something different.

The Defender one I was talking about was one like this:

http://www.birdfood.co.uk/dev/shop/p...D=10&sub=11&pI
D=722

But I guess you were talking about the mesh peanut feeders.

They used to have a go at the mesh peanut feeder but never made much
impact, the size of the mesh was probably to small for them to be able
to bend it out of the way eough to be a able to make a significant
impact on the peanuts inside.
--
Chris French