Old 29-07-2005, 03:01 PM
Mike

"Harold Walker" wrote in message

)

A number of postings suggested I was not qualified re England of
today......seems as though others appear to be qualified re USA of
today....wonder why the difference....

That's easy. We read and travel more widely - and take it in.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

From what I have read that might apply to some but is so general a

statement
that it really makes me wonder about Sacha......must admit I have not
travelled as much as you seem to have but I suspect you are an exception

the average English person......my travels have been limited to the

Africas,
the middle east and a wee bit further east than that not to mention the

med
etc. etc....I do not count Alaska as that is USA territory nor Canada as
that is the equivalant of a Yorkshireman going down south to Cornwall as
Canada is so close to Cape Cod....spitting distance that is...only about

500
miles away and a pleasant day's driving with ample time for a couple of
snorts before bed-time.....nor do I count the 50 odd states in the USA as
that is home territory even tho it be 3000 across and over a couple of
thousand down....I envy you and all of your travels...you must truly be

the
great exception.

I think you will find that the great British person is now travelling a lot
more, and doing it in such a way that they only need to unpack once: I mean
cruising. The world is now a very small place and with either home to home
cruising such as P&O use Southampton, or fly/cruise whereby you can be flown
out/back and cruise to various places, it makes the world even smaller. When
we booked our World Cruise for next year in February of this year, we had a
very small selection of upper grade cabins because they had already gone
...... 12 months before the cruise date, and the Christmas/New Year Cruise
for 2006/7, yes 18 months away is already well and truly booked with people
queuing for cancellations. Each of these cruises takes you to different
places and tours and excursions out.

We have now only done 3 cruises but the parts of the World and its history
has been an education, even in our latter years.

Yes people are travelling a lot more, I know of 5 families alone who have
cruised on P & O's Aurora, parts of my family have visited China, India,
Florida, right across America with the Arab Horse Society, (my daughter used
to breed Arabs) South Africa, Australia, Germany, Italy, Austria.

No we are not the exception, the great British public are 'getting about'.

Mike
P & O R601 if anyone wants for track our course.