Old 29-07-2005, 03:37 PM
Spider

zidergirl wrote in message

Hi
I am wondering if you can help me with my tree .
It is a lovely "Acer platanoides Crimson Sentry"
Each year it buds and leaves appear a beautiful colour all looking
healthy but as the summer progresses the leaves become covered in
white powery stuff.
See picture 'HERE' (http://tinyurl.com/cc3mh)
Anyone know what it is and how I can treat it?
Hope someone can help as its a lovely tree

thanks in advance

zee

--
zidergirl

Hi ...

The white powdery coating is mildew, brought on by drought stress. Although
you could water it more, and thin the crown, as has been suggested, you'll
never really resolve it unless you can move the tree. Your tree appears to
be in an open and rather exposed site. Acers prefer much more shelter than
this, as they are woodland plants. Is there another - more sheltered - site
for your Acer? Moving it may be quite a big job, but well worth it.

Spider