Old 29-07-2005, 04:24 PM
Bob Hobden

"Paul Giverin" wrote
I was just about to post here asking if anyone knew of an online guide to
phonetic pronunciation of plant names. After many years of gardening, I
still manage to embarrass myself in front of friends and colleagues with
some of my pronunciation

Anyway, before posting I did another "google" and came up with this:-

http://tinyurl.com/cexua

... which I hope someone else might find useful.

Thanks Paul, I bought a book many years ago to help with the pronunciation
of plant names after I came across an orchid called " Coelogyne cristata"
and realised I hadn't a hope of making a reasonable stab at it. ( correctly
koy-LO-gin-ee but commonly see-LO-gie-nee KRIS-tah-ta)

Problem then is, do you pronounce it the correct Latin way, with "C" being
hard, or use the commonly accepted way with a soft "C"? :-)

Still, if everyone understands what you are on about there isn't a problem.
--
Regards
Bob