Old 29-07-2005, 11:02 PM
Felice Friese

Default Ripening green apples?

I have 4 small apple trees from Stark (2 colonnades and 2 "other") that are
finally, this year, bearing apples in abundance. The squirrels usually get
them before they are ripe, and I wonder if instead of netting the trees I
can pick the apples while they are green and ripen them inside away from the
creatures. Any suggestions? If not, is there anything I can do with green
ones? Last year I made a pomander of one, but dozens of pomanders would mean
a fortune in whole cloves and two wrecked thumbs.

I don't really care for apples all that much, but my husband planted them
before he died and I feel obligated to care for them on his behalf!

Felice