Old 30-07-2005, 02:49 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I bought a new kit.
My readings are Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Total hardness 10
Total alkalinity about 60
PH is between 6.5
Priss

Hi Priss,

You need to get your KH/alkalinity up, else your bacteria isn't going to be
working well and your pH is going to be swinging, bad for both critters and
filter. I think this is why you're have the algae problem.

Use 1 cup/1000 gallons of Baking Soda (mix in water, add slowing to pump
chamber (or at the end of filter) or add to water fall, or around the edges
of the pond). Wait 12 hours and measure KH again. You want to get it up to
at least 100. Unless you have a pressurized filter, then you want to go up
to 150.

Do get some koi clay. Between it and the BS you should be able to
counteract the affects of the purification system.

Do start doing, at least, 10% water changes 2-3 X month. I think with the
above, your pond will "pop" (clear) real quick. Once that happens you won't
be cleaning the filter like you currently are.

Baking Soda and Clay will have to be added on a regular basis as your
purification system is taking out vital minerals & other things koi need.
You might want to do a KH measurement on a sample of it, to see what the
buffering is after it has gone thru the treatment system. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~