Old 30-07-2005, 10:54 AM
Pam Moore

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 14:01:00 GMT, Pam Moore
wrote:

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 13:57:14 +0100, "michael adams"
wrote:

"Paul Giverin" wrote in message

I was just about to post here asking if anyone knew of an online guide
to phonetic pronunciation of plant names. After many years of gardening,
I still manage to embarrass myself in front of friends and colleagues
with some of my pronunciation

Anyway, before posting I did another "google" and came up with this:-

http://tinyurl.com/cexua

... which I hope someone else might find useful.

This is maybe one of the main benefits of listening to "Gardeners'
Question Time" on a regular basis, as the "correct" pronunciations,
or at least in the past maybe, Geoffrey Smith's version of some of them,
are absorbed almost subconsciously. Which can work the other way
around as well, when trying to find things like "ceanothus" in
catalogues, confident it must start with an "S".

Thanks for that link: very useful.
Bob Flowerdew could do with reading that site, and also learning a bit
about what the latin names mean. He has so much knowledge, but NOT
about plant names!

One of Bob's unusual pronunciations is lonickera!
Pam in Bristol

Pam in Bristol