Old 25-11-2002, 09:31 PM
Kay Easton

Default Lawn rejuvenation.

In article ,
writes

What types of grass is the most widely used in the UK?

From watching Ground Force here in the states, it appears to be a short
fine bladed variety. Similiar to a bent grass fairway golf course here.

I have also heard that the UK does not have a climate similar to any
region in the states. Would this be true? If not how would you
describe it?

'Other places have climate - we have weather' ;-)

- reflection on the changeability of our weather - which is probably
why we talk about it so much.

I'm about half way up the UK, inland. Winters are wet, with long nights
- it gets dark about 4pm and isn't properly light again till 9am. It can
be a few degrees above freezing and foggy (like today) or wet (like
tomorrow's forecast) or it can be a few degrees below freezing. First
frost is usually the first week of October, last frost may be as late as
the first week of June.

Summers have long days - light before I wake up, and still light until
9pm or 10pm. It can be hot - up to 80F - or warm or coolish.

Spring and autumn can be almost anything.

We get about 30 inches of rain a year, spread almost evenly throughout
the year (the SE has drier summer, some areas in the west have much more
rain) - though in recent years we seem to be getting more rain than
usually, and milder winters.

What makes our climate so different from yours is the Gulf Stream, which
means we are a lot warmer than we have any right to expect for this
latitude. Which means our cold winter nights last a lot longer than
winter nights of similar coldness over there.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/