Old 30-07-2005, 05:03 PM
Gail Futoran

"Melissa" wrote in message
. 97.142...
We live in the Denver area.

I got some bare root rose bushes from Jackson Perkins about a
month ago, and planted them. Most are doing ok, but a couple have
this problem where the leaves are turning a dark brownish color
and then get crackly and die.

http://dim.com/~melissa/photos/Roses...%207-29-05.JPG

I put them in 2' tall 2' wide planters made of old highway guard
rails and the planters get pretty hot, but I put in a drip water
system. I'm not sure if some of them just aren't getting enough
water or if this is a bug or disease.

I usually also put fine cedar mulch around them but haven't
gotten to it yet. I started doing some tonight. That usually
keeps out a lot of what eats them ( I also use coffee grounds )
and keeps the water in the soil more. I need to finish that over
the weekend.

Does anyone have any idea what this is?

--
Yours In Liberty, Melissa - Colorado, U.S.A.

As Tim said, they probably aren't getting enough
water. Newly planted roses, especially bare roots,
need time to establish a good root system so it's
a good idea to baby them and especially when it's
really hot, water them frequently.

Is there good drainage in the pots? Roses can
also die from overwatering if water can't
drain out, but based on the browning I agree with
Tim it's probably too little water.

How much sun are they getting? Again, newly
planted roses can be tender and in the high
heat of the summer, too much sun can stress
them out, on top of the stress from being
planted. I've been known to erect temporary
shade for newly planted roses to give them
some relief from afternoon sun.

You shouldn't fertilize newly planted roses
which is another stressor. I have used potting
soil containing slow release fertilizers and had
no problems, but any additional fertilizer should
wait until the shrubs are well established.

A good organic root stimulator and general
tonic is seaweed. It's usually diluted 1 tbl.
per gallon water.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8