Old 31-07-2005, 02:48 AM
Ann

" Nartker" expounded:

I am living in Northern WI, Zone 3 at best. Is it possible to grow garlic
and top setting onions in this area. Any suggestions on technique, planting
times and varieties would be welcome.

The soil is very sandy, but I have good oak leaf based compost available.

Thanks

Johnny's German Extra Hardy always works well for me:

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/r...garlic&x=0&y=0

It's not as cold here as it is where you garden; I cover with four
inches of mulch once the ground freezes to keep the bulbs in the
ground (no heaving). I've just harvested, and I've got 40 gorgeous
heads of garlic to share with my family and friends, along as using
some for stock for next year.
--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked