Old 30-07-2005, 11:00 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Ok, so the kit worked fine. Then the problem isn't with the kit. Operator
error? Who knows?

I highly doubt that, considering the source. Knowing him he repeated the
test several times to make sure and he had reef tanks prior to going into
ponding.

No, I haven't taken the Koi Health Advisor training thru AKCA. Don't need
to. I've been raising fish (fresh water and salt water) since I was 11
years old (about 35 years).

And I've had fish since I was 18, so 33 years total, doesn't mean squat. I
learned so much from the KHA program, more than I ever did in those first
28 years. In fact, the other KHA mentioned above, has only been doing ponds
for 5 years. He taken more time to research and get even more involved and
take more extensive classes. I go to when I've got a question. Personal
experience doesn't always cover all aspects.

My current pond is three years old,

Not very old really. Things tend to bite us in the backside around years 5
to 8.

pH - 7.5
Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 0
KH - 90
GH - 120
Temp - 78

Doesn't mean much, because the things that water changes remove we don't
test for, such as heavy metals and fish pheromone, to name a couple. Clear
water doesn't always mean clean unfortunately.

No offense intended, but I suspect someone at your training class must work
for the local water company if they are recommending such frequent water
changes in large ponds.

The class was taught by people not even in my area, and water is the
cheapest thing a person puts in their pond. The teachers were fish vets and
teacher/hobbyists had backgrounds in everything from biochemistry to
construction. Thus they taught the course that was their background
specialty. The course was via internet and took 9 months, and we were
tested tough, then we attended a full weekend wet lab class.

You want to find out the hard way, continue on, but it isn't the
recommended way by those who have far, far, more experience and expertise
than you or I combined. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~