Old 31-07-2005, 08:01 AM
sherwindu

First check if the tree is truely dead, or just under a lot of stress from some
disease, or insect. Make random scrapings of the bark and check that the layer
just under it is still green (the cambium layer). If it is brown, that portion of the
tree is gone. If the tree shows indications of life, put in on a regular spray
schedule of fungicide and pesticide (if you haven't already done so). The tree may
recover next year, so don't be in a big hurry to cut it down, unless you find it is
mostly dead wood. My Montmorency had a bad spotted leaf problem last year, but
seems to have recovered this year with a fair crop of cheeries. You might try moving
some of the dirt from around the base of the tree to check for insect invasion.

Sherwin D.

zxcvbob wrote:

I've been out of town for 3 weeks; I got back last night. My sour
cherry tree looked perfectly healthy when I left, but now all the leaves
are dead and brown -- except for about 10 leaves that aren't *quite*
dead yet. I looked around the base of the tree for signs of a peach
tree borer, but nothing. I also don't see any insect or mite damage to
the leaves. The ground under the tree is neither really dry nor really
wet. I don't see any twisted growth like you might find if someone
sprayed it with herbicide.

Any idea what might have caused this? Is there any hope for the tree?

Best regards,
Bob