Old 31-07-2005, 08:52 AM
Kay

In article , cineman
writes
Hi Sally,
If you dont mind chemicals you could use provado ultimate bug killer which
is systemic and fruits such as toms can be eaten after a few days. although
id wash them first.

Why? I can see you would wash them to get rid of insect droppings etc,
and any residue of the original application, but apart from that, what
effect will surface washing have on a systemic insecticide?

normally i dont use chemicals, just soft soap, but having an infestation of
lily bug, and aphids spreading viruses on sweetpeas last year. I had to
resort to other means.
Hope this is of some help
regards
Cineman
West Mids

"Sally Holmes" wrote in message
. co.uk...

I planted some huge planters with a cottage-gardeny mix of tomatoes,
heartease, pot marigolds, nasturtiums and other stuff.

It's filled the planter, the tomatoes have set and everything's fine,
except that the marigolds and nasturtiums have got a mega-infestation of
blackfly. I have little hope of knocking them out using a contact spray as
I couldn't get to every affected stem: is there a systemic I could use
that wouldn't linger on in the tomatoes?

I reckon the tomatoes are at least 2 - 3 weeks off ripening, so it'll have
time to disperse.

--
Sally Holmes
Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England