Old 31-07-2005, 10:32 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:

I used to grow tobacco, and cure the leaves. The baccy was good, too,
but I've given up smoking since. I did try making insecticide with the
waste, and it was effective, but didn't keep.

that too I grew around 1947 but gave it away to a friend who used it for
'chewing baccy'....was too strong for me....quit smoking anywaymany many
moons ago....H

I used to cure stuff which varied from Force 1 to Force 12 on the
Beaufort Scale.

The mildest was suitable for cigarettes, and was cured using honey and
whisky. Once, drying some which had been a bit liberally dosed with 'the
creature', and was still too wet to slice, I overheated it a bit on top
of the stove and ended up with a lightly toasted tobacco not unlike
Gauloises, and that became a stock formula. (Patrick Lichfield was
favourably inclined towards it.)

Hurricane-strength stuff was started by bruising, and augmented by the
addition of molasses and dark rum before being rolled very tightly and
bound in whipcord till the juices oozed.

If you opened a biscuit tin in my house then, there'd be stacks of thin
carrot-shaped 'mummies' inside, and a delicious aroma of rum, whisky or
brandy would become apparant...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/