Old 31-07-2005, 06:04 PM
deepeddygirl

I've seen these in a City of Austin maintained bed on the south side of
Cesar Chavez right before the First Street bridge (heading east). They
are amazing. You might want to call Parks and Rec to see if they can
direct you to their supplier.

Linda wrote:
This is a just-because-I-wanted-to-talk-about-it post. In Oregon I had
a Hibiscus "Lord Baltimore" that produced huge, dinner-plate sized dark
red flowers. They were definitely attention-getters. The bush was near
the road and lots of people slowed down or stopped to look. Come winter,
all the leaves dropped and what remained was very large, thick woody
stems. I broke those all off close to the ground. In spring the new
growth came up among the stubs.

Another large-flowered one was Hibiscus moscheutos "Southern Belle",(am
not sure I read my writing correctly on the spelling) produced white
turning to pink blooms, not as large.

Are those grown around here? I have not seen any but haven't been to
any real nurseries yet.
You _real_ gardeners out there will shudder to hear me say I bring
plants home from Lowe's and Wal-Mart ;-)

Linda