Old 31-07-2005, 06:54 PM
Laura

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Laura" wrote in message
"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

snipped OP for brevity

If a cat tangles with a squirrel once, it usually won't do it again.

LOL. Do you have wimpy cats or *really* mean squirrels?

When I was growing up, every outdoors cat we ever owned hunted squirrels
regularly - and caught them from time to time. Some they'd eat, some
they'd leave just outside the side door as "presents" for Mom. :-)

It was really funny when a squirrel would get away - it would cling to
the side of a tree, just out of reach, and lash its tail and chatter at
the cat - just like it was taunting the cat. It seemed to work, too,
since the kitty involved always looked mad enough to spit nails
afterwards. Ever since, I've always imagined that cats feel particularly
satisfied whenever they kill a squirrel.

Hey...maybe I'm wrong! But, I had 2-3 nasty-ass cats around my property
for a few years. One would take on large dogs, raccoons, cats twice its
size, and always emerge unscathed. But, it went a few rounds with a
squirrel once, and came out bloodied. My own cat would tangle with almost
anyone (or anything), and SHE got swiped once by a squirrel. Those lawn
rats have a lot of claws.

Really mean squirrels it is, then! :-)