Old 31-07-2005, 11:17 PM
Wilmdale

DC wrote:

I've done some searching around and I've found various biological
filtration systems available and I was hoping for some recommendations
for a 1000 Gallon pond that WILL have a 1200-1800 GPH pump. It needs
to be external and small / and/or buriable. Preferrably one of the all
in one that's not heinously expensive. Probably looking at something
pressurized and either with a backflush mechanism or cleanable media.
(Preferrably backflush, for obvious reasons.)

Unfortunately, I don't have a bottom drain, so that's going to screw
with the asthetics as the pond is built up about 20" high around the
edges in a circle. (If anyone has any bright ideas on hiding all the
power / tubing, I'd love to hear that too. ;-)

I installed a couple of the vacuum bottom drains. If you use black ABS
pipe, it will hardly be noticeable. I use the white PVC and it is
covered with algae and not too offensive. This feeds bio and veggie
filters. You might be surprised and how efficient even a small veggie
or bio filter can be especially if you do not overload the eco system
with too many fish. What I have found is the more simple the set up,
the better it seems to work. Maintenance on my system is limited to
fall cleaning just before shut down and 'dusting off' before spring
start up. The plants will take care of a LOT of filtration for you.
Give it some more thought.
Success to you!
W. Dale