Old 31-07-2005, 11:15 PM
Pam Moore

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 15:08:49 GMT, dave wrote:

We have a bamboo plant that is now a spectacular 15 feet high. It's been growing
there for 4 years. I'd like to prune some of the sides shoots as it growing over
the path. At what time of year is best to do this and whereabouts on the plant
in relation to the "joints"? As you can tell, I'm no gardener :-) and don't want
to ruin the plant.
Thank you.

What I did in a similar situation with a clump-forming bamboo
(phyllostachys) was to dig it up, split it into several pieces and
replant one. I could also have cut through the roots and taken some of
the outside of the clump.
In that way you can make several plants as long as you leave at least
one full length cane on each piece.
If you do want only to prune, then don't cut half way up a cane, cut
them right off at ground level. It will not look right if you cut part
way up a cane.
Enjoy!

Pam in Bristol